Dunbar's number

Recently, there was some resource reallocation in our company. Ours was a team of twelve members. The schedule and technology demanded more. I had a one-on-one session with our mentor and brought up the issue. He said he cannot allocate more resource to our team. The decision is not a big surprise given the engineering strength we have but the reason is. Precisely, what I wanted was to put forward details of the resource requirement not an actual resource allocation. Our mentor mentioned that my current manager can handle only 'this much'. I thanked god he didn't mention 'this bunch'. That would turn the pointers on us.

To be frank, I consider our team as a group of self motivated and disciplined individuals (blah! that includes me too). Till I read this Seth Godin article on Dunbar's number, I thought managing a team like ours is not a real big deal. Though he talks about building tribes, I got what I wanted.

In his book "Good to Great" Jim Collins quotes

The executives who ignited the transformations from good to great did not first figure out where to drive the bus and then get people to take it there. No, they first got the right people on the bus (ofcourse the wrong people off the bus) and then figured out where to drive it.

Compensation, job opportunities and technical exposure often are the cliched as motivational factors. I believe if we have right people, they will be a group of self-motivated individuals. What the management should do is take care that they are not demotivated by external factors. The external factor also includes other resources.

I thought my mentor was right in relating the Dunbar number with my manager's capabilities. He also took care that the current self-motivated 'bunch' is not demotivated by adding 'much' more.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

6 Strength Training Myths Debunked - By Jenna McCarthy

The top list